Goulash is a delicious beef stew (or soup) with a rich paprika seasoned broth. This delicious dish is warm and comforting, perfect for a cold winter’s day.
- 1 lb beef, cubed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons paprika
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 parsnip, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 potatoes, chopped
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- Add the olive oil to a heavy-bottomed pan and heat over medium heat.
- Season the beef with salt and pepper and add to the hot oil.
- Sear on all sides, about 3-4 minutes, then remove and add the onions.
- Cook the onions until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Do not rush this step as it builds incredible flavor.
- Add the garlic, paprika, and return the beef to the pan and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the bay leaves, carrots, parsnip, celery and add enough water to cover the mixture.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer and cover for 45 minutes.
- Remove any grease that has accumulated on top and then add the potatoes, cooking another 20 minutes.
- Remove grease, add tomatoes and peppers, cook for 5 minutes.
- Season again with additional salt, pepper, and paprika as needed.